Sunday, May 23, 2010

Theratogs

I forgot to update an interesting therapy session. Lately PT has been pretty rough on Imogene, on me, and on Lily. Lily wants so much attention during PT, and I just can't focus on her, and Imogene who cries through a lot of the 50 minute-session, and it turns into me being crabby and not really being with either one of them. More like I go away in my mind to a nice, quiet little island where it's just me and a couple of books and some sweet tea...and okay sorry. So anyway, I set up a playdate for Lily on Thursday, and Imogene and I went alone to PT. It went so much better - as I expected it would. Imogene even tolerated wearing "theratogs." You can see them on their website, http://www.theratogs.com/ - so you can get an idea of what it looks like. Basically I kept waiting for Susan to put Imogene in a pool, she looked just like she was wearing a wet suit. At one point I asked when we were going swimming with the dolphins. The tagline is "therapy you can wear." According to their website they were designed for children with complex neuromuscular disorders like cerebral palsy. (Even typing that, it hits me that Imogene actually has a "neuromuscular disorder." Still so weird to believe this is our life.) Here's their description of what theratogs do - "the system wraps the torso and lower extremeties in a velcro-senstive strapping field that allows the clinician to attach straps that can improve postural alignment and stability." That's EXACTLY what Imogene needs, and according to Susan it really worked. She could tell a difference in her posture right away. Too bad that they are ridiculously expensive. Susan said she'll start brainstorming as to how we can replicate it on a regular basis. In the meantime, I'll be setting up a lot of Thursday playdates for Miss Lily. It's way more fun for her to be doing something with a friend anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment