Monday, March 1, 2010

The Power of the Internet

Last week my friend Karin told me about a dress for the girls that was on-line. Not only was it adorable, but $10 of the $25 cost of the dress went to the family of Layla Grace. Layla Grace is a 2 year-old in Texas that is dying of cancer. The dress is available here http://www.pickyourpocket.com/ (it's the "Layla" dress) and the family's website is here http://www.laylagrace.org/ I know we all come across so many stories lately of such heartbreak, but this one has really gotten to me, and I've thought all weekend about what the parents and sisters of little Layla are going through, watching their child die. Here is an article that really explains best what I've felt. I know people argue that the Internet is taking away from the personal contact we use to have with each other. But I think that there is so much about blogs and twitter and facebook and caring bridge sites that is good for our relationships these days. For me, this blog is such an outlet. Writing has always been enjoyable to me, and I've really enjoyed writing about my favorite thing - being Lily and Imogene's mom! (and your wife of course, Bill). Through other friends' blogs I have been able to stay connected despite many, many miles. Facebook has re-connected me with people I'm so happy to still call friend. And with sites like laylagrace.org, and the caring bridge sites, I feel like I can pray and hope and weep with people that I may not know, but could use the prayers nonetheless. I know I'm sappy and sentimental, but I'm not so sure that's such a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment