Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mommy Time

Last night was the first night of the girls' lives that I have been home in my house alone. It's only the second night I've ever been away from Imogene, and the longest I've been away from Lily in 2 and a half years. And let me tell you, I had no idea how much I needed it!
Yesterday morning Bill took Lily and Imogene to Pennsylvania to see Grunny & Charlie. Bill and Imogene are on their way back right now. Lily and Grunny will come back either tomorrow or Monday, depending on how Lily is handling being away. She's asked to stay until Monday, so we'll see! I have had a total and complete me-fest. I ran errands, spent hours at the mall, ate dinner and breakfast in front of the TV, went to lunch and a museum with friends. It's been heavenly. I'm in no way saying I'd go back to a child-free life. Not in a minute, not for anything. But this time has shown me that everyone needs to recharge their batteries once in a while. Bill and I need to take more time to be just us, and we need to each individually get more time to ourselves. I am the only person I have dressed in the last 30 hours, I'm the only person I've fed, or bathed, or helped go potty! I haven't changed a diaper in over 30 hours! WOO HOO Lucky me. I've done a few chores around the house, but mostly I've just enjoyed a little bit of stolen time. I am so grateful to Bill and Bunny & Charlie for it! Especially since Bill had to deal with a flat tire and Lily throwing up in the car!
Lily is having a great time. She has called me a few times and said the funniest, cutest things. When I told her we had to be at the hospital at 5:45 am (YEP!) for Imogene's surgery, she said, "Well Mom that just knocks me over."  "Are you in your pajamas still? Have you eaten breakfast? What are you doing?" She has told me every time we've talked about the 'donut' on the car, and the man who will fix it for Daddy. And that she "Got pretty sick in the car, but I feel fine now." She's just too amazed to even stand it that "the couch turns into a full BED!" - not sure why this is so amazing since we have not one, but two pull-out couches at our house! Very, very excited that there was a seat and a door in the shower at Grunny's house.

The other day I told her that I thought something sounded like it would be pretty awesome. Her response, completely dead-panned, "That does not sound pretty awesome to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment