Monday, May 2, 2011

Streak for Stroke

May is Pediatric Stroke Awareness Month. (I believe it is all stroke awareness month - not actually sure.)  The Children's Hemiplegia & Stroke Awareness group is encouraging people to "streak for stroke" - meaning do something every day to be more positive in your life ... a streak. I missed the first two days, but I'm giving up chocolate. If you know me, you may know that this is going to be HARD. Especially if you know how much chocolate I have in my pantry right now. I absolutely cannot turn down chocolate, I eat it all the time. And it's been actually bothering me how often I go to the pantry for a snack, and get something sweet. So I'm giving it up. It's not going to be fun, and maybe some people think it's not that hard.  But trust me, this is going to be hard. But then I think of how hard it is for Imogene to do the simplest things that we take for granted every day, like hold a yogurt cup - big challenge this morning. Yogurt EVERYWHERE. How hard it was for her to walk through a straight line of plastic rings at therapy this morning. How hard it is to do something simple like walk up the stairs without a railing to hold onto, with her left hand. So I'm giving up my absolute favorite food group.

Bill is going to write Imogene a little note every day before he leaves for work or before he goes to bed.
(his sounds much nicer than mine doesn't it?). But Imogene loves chocolate SOOO much, that one day she'll appreciate what I did in her honor. :)

Want to streak with us? Join us! It can be anything - exercise every day, write every day, give up a bad habit, call an old friend every day, pick a flower from your garden every day ... whatever you can do that would make a little change in your life.

And be sure to let me know what you are doing!

1 comment:

  1. OK. I'm starting today with my 'streak'...chocolate would be SO good for me (except that i just ate a handful of chocolate chips AND i'm baking chocolate pound cake right now). but i'm starting tonight...no chocolate and we can commiserate together because i eat it atleast 3 times/day. what a great way to *attempt* to understand her challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete