Sunday, August 28, 2011

Therapy Update

Lily had her evaluation with Child Find two weeks ago. I will not go into the very, very long diatribe I have about the system that is set up in Alexandria city for finding out if your child is eligible to receive any additional services in school. Let's just say it's a complete mess, and I almost gave up.
Which I guess I could have done, because it turns out neither of them will qualify for any additional help at this time. Lily is age-appropriate for everything they'd help her with - I guess I figured that was coming - and it is a good thing. Of course I don't want her to be behind her peers. She is really starting to draw more 'things' - a sun and a flower this past week. Yes, more than not her drawing is scribbles. But she's progressing a bit. The system that they use to evaluate basically tells them if she is delayed in a manner that will hinder her education. It's too long to get into it, but my worry remains that her inability to focus is going to be a huge factor in her ability to enjoy school. And they could not have seen that in the short time they spent with her. So we wait to see how Kindergarten goes, and then we can ask her to be re-evaluated afterwards. And we make sure the teacher (we find out tomorrow!), the school OT, and the principal are all aware of what she's been working on with Amy these last 10 months. Lots of vigilance on my part, which is fine. I figure someone has to be the over-zealous parent, might was well be me.
The woman I've worked with the most at Child Find is great. And she spent some time with Imogene while we were talking and waiting on Lily. And while Imogene has an appointment with CF in October, she all but told me it was a waste of time, that she wouldn't get any services. She's going to be able to "function" in preschool and while she has CP and diminished use of her right side, that's not going to hinder her education. Or so they say. I'll say that everyone who sees her on a regular basis disagrees (me and the therapists) but I think that it's just such a standard system they use, and from what I've seen, they are completely overloaded and just can't help everyone. Honestly, I think that's part of it. We are clearly capable parents who are at a wonderful preschool, and we just don't fit in the system. Maybe I'm wrong and she really will 'function' - but I don't want her to just 'function' - I want her to soar to the highest place she can!
She starts WWP on September 15 and we are THRILLED that she's going to be with Miss Susie and Miss Brandy. Lily had Miss Brandy in the 3's and was so fond of her. And we love Miss Susie already. I think Imogene (once she gets past the initial separation trauma) is going to be so happy at school. I just want her to be safe and be able to keep up as much as she can.

We saw Dr. Morozova during the never-ending week of therapy/doctors visits. Imogene is 'beautiful' she said :) She is dragging her right foot - mostly her toes - and so we go tomorrow to be fitted for a new brace. This one will have an angle to it that should help her use her muscles along the top of her foot that she basically ignores. She was impressed with how her muscles have adapted to a huge growth spurt (height, not weight of course!) she had since we were last there. In a CP situation like Imogene's, the muscles respond by getting tighter when the bones grow, and Imogene does not seem to be getting to that point just yet. Which is Great! She also said that when she is age-appropriate, she'll do well to be in dance, piano and tai kwon doe classes. That's fun to imagine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment